Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lives of the Prophets: Introductions

I intend in the next few weeks to write a series of notes on the lives of the Prophets of Scripture weekly through January and February. Today, the term “Prophet” has seemingly scary connotations. It conjures up in the imagination thoughts of old bearded men living in caves with wholly devoted lives to God so as to make futuristic predictions inevitably doomed to fail. I think with such a concept of the institution of the Prophet, we lose sight of the Prophetic ministry.

There is much to learn about such a ministry especially from the Old Testament [OT]. The term “Prophet” does not necessarily mean “seer of the future” as many, and myself in the past, seem to think. In fact, the ministries of the OT Prophets seldom involved solely utterances of the future. No doubt they spoke of the future but nonetheless they were aware of the past and lived in the present. In this, I am amazed at how relevant their experiences and ministries are to is even in the 21st century.

In the New Testament, Paul wrote a letter to the Christians at Corinth. In that letter, he dealt with a lot of things including the ministry of the Prophets. In 1st Corinthians 14: 5, we read “Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues” then he ends the chapter by saying “[t]herefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy” in v. 39. So he tells us that to prophesy is a more desirous calling than speaking in tongues (and arguably other spiritual gift). Neither is the call to prophesy for some elite spiritual group for Paul says “my brethren (fellow Christians) desire earnestly to prophesy”—it’s for anyone called of God.

I have said that the Institution of Prophecy is not primarily about forecasting the future. But what is the definition of Prophecy? Fortunately, Paul gives us a beautiful definition of sorts in 1st Corinthians 14: 3 when he says “one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation”. Prophecy then is for the edification, exhortation and consolation of the Body of Christ. For some of us, that means speaking; for others, that means shepherding as with Pastors; for others that means writing; for others it entails babysitting and yet for others it entails listening, hugging and sharing. I believe the lives of the OT Prophets are instructive, if not instrumental, and we do well to take heed.

I have prepared to look at eight Prophets of the Jewish Bible. These are not the eight greatest—I don’t think there’s any such thing as “greatest” Prophet(s). All were called of God, albeit to different ministries and at different times. Some of my selected Prophets wrote their own works; others penned nothing for posterity (or at least we don’t have their works). In our Christian Bible, some are considered members of the “Major Prophets”, others of the “Minor Prophets”; still others of neither. I have made no such distinctions between them here. Moreover, some of the “Minor Prophets” have some very major messages and lives for us to consider.

To close this introduction, a few acknowledgments are in order. It was the ancient historian Suetonius who penned amongst his historical works, the Lives of the Caesars series cataloging the details of such rulers. I borrow from Him the title of this series and have adapted it to suit my subject. Unlike Suetonius, however, I claim no expertise in the subject of history. Yet like him, I do have my sources. Primarily, I am a student of the English Bible and I take it as my main source especially in the New American Standard Bible [NASB] version. Secondarily, I inevitable borrow thoughts that I have gained and gleaned over the years from other Christian author, speakers, scholars, and friends that I cannot even recall so in fear of failing to acknowledge all, I would just like to say that I have deeply indebted to them all. Finally, I am most indebted to my Lord and Savior Jesus who has not only transformed my life but provided friends, Christian and otherwise, that have shaped my call. It is to this last acknowledgee, Jesus Christ, and for His Church that this is written that He may be forever praised. Amen! Happy New Year!

No comments: